Position: Freelance Graphic Designer
Reports to: Senior Designer
The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra is looking for a qualified Freelance Graphic Designer to assist in the creation of graphic design in both print and digital platforms.
Design hours may vary, standard of 10 – 20 hours per week.
The Freelance Graphic Designer works closely with the Marketing and Design Teams in the development of advertising and marketing collateral, including but not limited to: newspaper and magazine advertising, concert programs and inserts, flyers, web banners and display ads. In all functions, the Freelance Graphic Designer and Production Assistant is expected to assist the Design Team with print and digital projects as assigned in a deadline driven environment while maintaining the BSO’s brand standards.
The right candidate will:
- Have strong design and production skills and proven ability to maintain brand standards across a variety of projects
- Function independently and efficiently on a deadline-driven basis and handle multiple, concurrent tasks
- Have availability and ability to provide quick turnaround from start to finish
- Ability to incorporate feedback and direction to create compelling, brand-consistent pieces
- Work remotely, with periodic meeting on-site at the Joseph Meyerhoff Symphony Hall to discuss projects
- A minimum of two (2) years increasingly responsible graphic design experience
- Proficiency with, and access to the latest version of Adobe Creative Cloud software – CC17 (must have Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat and access to TypeKit)
- Experience working within branding guidelines and/or organization style guides
- Experience with offset print production and prepress best-practices
- Excellent typography skills and proficiency with paragraph and character styles in layout software
- Strong written communication skills
- Proficiency in digital image editing and vector graphic creation
- Understanding of and experience with web/digital design standards and best practices
- Familiarity with Dropbox, Google Docs or other cloud-based file management service
- Experience with designing print advertisements
- A background and/or interest in symphonic music
HOW TO APPLY
Submit a cover letter, resume, design samples and hourly rate requirements to: marketingjobs@BSOmusic.org
Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, 1212 Cathedral Street Baltimore, MD 21201.
Work samples and references will be required. No phone calls please.
ABOUT THE BSO
Founded in 1916, the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra is internationally recognized as having achieved a preeminent place among the world's most important orchestras. Acclaimed for its uncompromising pursuit of artistic excellence, the Baltimore Symphony has attracted a devoted national and international following while maintaining deep bonds throughout the Maryland community through innovative education and community outreach initiatives. The BSO’s marketing department promotes the many aspects of the world-class Baltimore Symphony Orchestra. The BSO presents nearly 160 concerts throughout the season across a diverse range of series including Off the Cuff, Classical, Family, SuperPops and mid-week education concerts serving public, private schools and home-school students in Baltimore City, Baltimore, Montgomery, Prince George’s and Howard counties.