Address: 1212 Cathedral Street, Baltimore, MD 21201
Term: Fall 2014
Compensation: Academic credit
Hours: Minimum 15 hours per week
The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra's Development Department is a fast-paced work environment that raises more than half of the organization's revenue from government, foundations, corporations, and individuals. The Development team's role in the organization includes a high-level of donor stewardship in addition to soliciting gifts through personal solicitations, telefundraising, mailings, and special events. The BSO's Development Intern will work closely with members of the Development Department, gaining exposure to a highly productive team of professional gift officers and fundraisers.
The intern's duties will be tailored to his/her interests and skill set, including but not limited to:
- Providing personalized customer service and superior donor relations
- Researching current and potential donors
- Assisting in acknowledgement preparation and donor benefit fulfillment
- Creating invitations and programs for Membership events
- Managing event reservations
- Acting as a representative of the Orchestra on-site at special events as needed
- Completing small research projects on topics useful to Development staff
- Other duties as assigned
The ideal candidate will be a current graduate/undergraduate student or a recent college graduate of a discipline related to music, arts management, marketing, or communications with an interest in pursuing a career in arts management, philanthropy or the non-profit sector.
We are seeking candidates interested in the field of arts management who are proactive, enthusiastic, goal-oriented and responsible and have a strong work ethic and passion for the arts.
Essential skills include:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Computer proficiency, knowledge of Microsoft Office (Powerpoint, Word, Excel) excellent interpersonal skills. Mail merge knowledge necessary.
- Ability to multi-task
- Willingness to learn
- Experience with layout/design or database maintenance a plus.
- Interns will receive mentorship and gain valuable skills that will be useful in a variety of careers.
- At the conclusion of the internship, interns will have a diverse portfolio of work samples.
- Minimum 15 hours per week, schedule is flexible, some irregular nights and weekends.
- Free garage parking.
- Intern is eligible for complimentary tickets to BSO performances on the same basis as administrative staff.
- Will work with universities for college credit.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to:
Baltimore Symphony Orchestra
smoore@BSOmusic.org. No phone calls or fax please.
The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra is an equal opportunity employer.