The BSYO is comprised of three ensembles tailored to specific age groups and skill levels, offering each student individualized attention and a supportive, collaborative performance environment. Ensembles include:
- Pre-professional, full orchestra for students grades 9-12 (*exceptional younger musicians will be considered at the discretion of the Artistic Director and with the endorsement of the student’s private teacher)
- Performs standard orchestral repertoire as well as music by living composers
- Led by BSYO Artistic Director, Nicholas Hersh
The YO is the most advanced orchestra of BSYO. It provides the most talented and dedicated students the opportunity to perform symphonic masterworks as well as exciting new repertoire by living composers. In addition to the regular concert season, students may participate in the annual concerto competition and regular chamber music opportunities. The YO is conducted by Nicholas Hersh and receives additional coaching from musicians of the BSO, as well as occasional guest conductors. Rehearsals are on Sunday afternoons from 2-5 pm and membership is by audition.
- Full orchestra for students grades 7-10 (*exceptional younger musicians will be considered at the discretion of the Artistic Director and with the endorsement of the student’s private teacher)
- Performs both classic and contemporary works, in the original versions as well as carefully selected arrangements
- Led by MaryAnn Poling
The CO is a full orchestral experience providing a training ground and exemplary musical learning environment for students. Conducted by MaryAnn Poling, the CO performs both classic and contemporary works, in the original versions as well as in carefully selected arrangements. Students receive close mentorship from musicians of the BSO and may also participate in chamber music opportunities and the annual CO concerto competition. Rehearsals are on Sunday afternoons from 2:15-4:45 pm and membership is by audition.
- String orchestra for students through grade 7
- Emphasis on building strong musicianship, technique, and ensemble skills
- Led by Nana Vaughn
The SO is BSYO's ensemble for developing talented string players. With repertoire selected to challenge and inspire students, the SO is ideal for building strong musicianship and technique that is the foundation for orchestral playing. The SO is a dynamic ensemble conducted by Nana Vaughn and receives additional support and coaching from musicians of the BSO and area professionals. Students also have the opportunity to participate in the chamber music program and the annual SO concerto competition. Rehearsals are on Sunday afternoons from 3-5 pm and membership is by audition.